Thursday 28 May 2015

Unicorn Socks to save the day (and other Gift Giving love)

I hadn’t had the best week this week. I am not going to go into details, but I feel its important to mention that it’d been a struggle, and it’s only a Thursday.
Today I got two parcels, sandwiching a Dr's appointment (and those are never fun!) which turned my day around. I am a member of an online community of people who like Black Milk Clothing. Its more than a community, and less strange than a cult, but is perhaps somewhere in between! We call ourselves Sharkies. As a part of this I am in a group where we Sharkies send each other random gifts, to try and brighten people’s days randomly. It has always been an incredible page to be a part of, and people’s generosity and thoughtfulness never fails to amaze me. This was exemplified today by a particular Sharkie, the sender of today’s parcels, inside which was the array of wonderful things pictured below.

Now, I am writing this post for two reasons. Firstly as a means of thanks, to this sender but also to anyone who has sent a gift on this page, to me or to anyone else! To take time out of your busy (or not busy, either way) life, and to spend both your money and your thoughts on another person, not because you feel you need too or to repay something, but just because you genuinely want too, is a wonderful thing to do. Thank you on behalf of all of us! I know I am one of many people who is incredibly grateful. One of the people for whom the random gift appeared at a time, so unexpectedly, when we needed a pick-me-up more than we even knew.

I am also writing this post as a reminder of how much your life can change in a short space of time. This week there were times that I really wasn’t sure if I’d get to the end of it; I was told something which made me have to re-evaluate my life, and for me that’s a pretty dangerous thing to do, and I wasn’t sure I could. I am still not sure about the re-evaluation, but I’m definitely working on it. What I am sure of is that I’ll make it far past this week. This gift has shown me that my little world is so much bigger than me and the decisions I am currently trying to make. My little world is actually part of a very big and very wonderful world! And this decision won’t be the end of me, because I am stronger than that, but also because I now have a pair of unicorn socks to help get me through.

Let’s be honest, unicorn socks and a large dose of hope is really what anyone needs to get through a rough patch!

No comments:

Post a Comment